[Aakash-hackers] Bootstrapping for Aakash

Srikant u.srikant.patnaik at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 15:46:39 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Vasudev Kamath <kamathvasudev at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Quoting from multiple mails to avoid storm of mail replies.
>
> Srikant <u.srikant.patnaik at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello all, Sorry for late.
> >
> > Here are few updates.
> >
> > 1) We welcome our new member Pranav. He is a engineering student,
> > shares the same enthusiasm and passion. I have added him in alioth,
> > and he already joined this mailing list. Somehow he is unable to
> > create account on wiki.
>
> Welcome Pranav!.
>

> > 2) I have created a minimal lxde-core image, with Wifi/touch and basic
> > utils. I have no idea how to host it on alioth or wiki, so will wait
> > for your suggestions. Meanwhile its sitting on my google drive (200MB,
> > xz compressed, not tested on other device)
>
> Interesting. I would like to share some thoughts after I had a
> discussion on #debian-mobile a week ago or so. You had asked about DE
> environment and it looks like enlightenment does have mobile device
> support so we can try that to get a more mobile device like feel. Due to
> lack of time I myself couldn't explore this yet.

We have tried e17 before, it is fast, but mobile and tablet interface had
some
unpleasant corners. Though we don't remember why we switched to LXDE, but
still I personally like to try e18 some time.

> >>    Interesting. But to be honest I have no interest in the actual
> >>    image you produced - what I find interesting is the choices you
> >>    made in producing it: Better if you share source - i.e. the
> >>    scripts (or other procedures) you used to produce the image.
>
> > The github link which I shared has the detailed procedure. There is no
> > script. I don't feel there is a need too, correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I did check the page and I've few comments here. I think you used Ubuntu
> to bootstrap this image, there is nothing wrong I'm noticing it because
> there is no package called *gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf* yet in Debian. The
> cross compiler which can be installed in Debian is only from the
> emdebian repo IIRC, I use thibgs repo at [1] and package available there
> is *gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabihf*. May be a line suggesting adding this
> repo to the sources.lst if people using Debian want to bootstrap this
> image is helpful.

Yes, I used Ubuntu. I assumed that these packages will have same name in
Debian too. My bad. Sure I have added the repo information. Would you also
recommend to use Linaro or Scratchbox  ?

> Also let me clarify why Jonas asked about the script, the point is we
> should have some way of always able to build things in a automated way
> than repeating it every time we want to spin image for testing. Also
> Jonas likes preparing image himself ;-).
>
> Jonas did an effort to generalize this pure blending effort using
> boxer[2] which is written using gnumake and due to bugs and due to
> rigidity of make we started rewriting it using Perl[3]. Atleast [2] can
> still be used directly with some effort and [3] isn't yet ready.
>
> I'm mentioning about boxer here because I wanted to give idea of what
> Jonas was talking about
>
> (Jonas if I assumed something wrong here correct me ;-))
>
> [1] http://emdebian.org/~thibg/repo/
> [2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/boxer.git;a=summary
> [3] http://source.boxer.biks.dk/?p=boxer.git
>
> Sure. Will make a shell script.

> > The reason is, U-boot and filesystem we make only once. We change the
> > Kernel, that too, only once.
>
> Here I want to point out few stuffs, I was exploring the feasibiity of
> pure blending Debian for Aakash and found few blockers, one such blocker
> I've updated on wiki is availability of Alwinner A13 board support in
> Debian. Since Alwinner A13 support is not yet mainlined completely by
> Sunxi project to Linux upstream we can't expect Debian to officially
> provide a deb file.
>
> i.e. sudo aptitude install linux-image-alwinner
>
> (PS: I don't have required expertise to carry out mainlining efforts :-)
> but if some one can then I'll be glad to help)
>
> > Is there any tutorial/blog/video on alioth. Also, is there any
> > beginner's guide/instructions for debian wiki.
>
> Are you looking for Alioth help? if so [4] and Debian wiki is moinmoin
> software some information which might be helpful is [5]
>
> [4] https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/
> [5] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki

Thanks

> > 3) Is it possible to edit wiki using restructredText or markdown?
> > Meanwhile, I have created a branch in our github page
> > https://github.com/androportal/linux-on-aakash/tree/debian with steps
> > to follow. This page should be converted to debian wiki. So that we
> > can all edit there.
>
> You can simply create a page at
> wiki.debian.org/DebianAakash/Installation or something more relevant by
> going to that URL. Since that page doesn't exist you will get an option
> to create it.

Will do that.