[Adduser-devel] Rewriting adduser
Brian M. Carlson
sandals at crustytoothpaste.ath.cx
Sat Jul 16 23:34:33 UTC 2005
I am starting a rewrite of adduser. Some things that should be noted
about this rewrite:
* It is in C++.
* It is currently very preliminary.
* It does not use the useradd/groupadd series of programs; instead it
rewrites the files on its own.
* It contains a "test" mode, where it writes files into the current
directory, instead of in system locations. This is to aid in
generation of a testsuite.
* It is under the GNU General Public License, as published by the Free
Software Foundation; version 2 of the License, dated June 1991.
Some goals I have for this rewrite (in order of expected completion):
* To make the software fully functional.
* To make the code command-line compatible with the current adduser.
* To create a testsuite.
* To support internationalization.
* To add code to support LDAP/NIS/other backends and update the
* To maximize portability.
* To create a plugin system, if this is desired functionality.
* To support the software, keeping in mind that I am a student and also
that there is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
Some things that are not goals:
* To rewrite in Perl. My object-oriented Perl is lacking.
* To autoconfiscate. I hate that series of tools.
If you are interested in my rewrite, please let me know. I will check
the code in to my bazaar repository once I get a general feel for
what reactions are like. I am subscribed to the list.
If you want to see the code before making up your mind, then you may
find a copy here (please be gentle on my server):
Thank you for your consideration.
 Yes, I am sure this makes you very nervous.
 I will be happy to produce tarballs both now and later, so do not
expect this to be a problem. The repository is signed with this OpenPGP
 How I check the code in depends on whether it is expected to be used
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/adduser-devel/attachments/20050716/6ddea026/attachment-0001.pgp
More information about the Adduser-devel