[Adduser-devel] old uml-utilities bug running adduser (#326029)

Mattia Dongili malattia at linux.it
Sat Apr 8 16:33:25 UTC 2006

Hello Adduser people, Steinar,

while reviewing uml-utilities bugs I can't reproduce #326029 which is
related to an adduser error while setting up the package. Relevant
log from submitter is:

  Setting up uml-utilities (20040406-1) ...
  useradd: unknown group uml-net
  adduser: `/usr/sbin/useradd -d /home/uml-net -g uml-net -s /bin/false -u 254 uml-net' returned error code 6.  Aborting.
  Cleaning up.
  Removing user `uml-net'.
  userdel: user uml-net does not exist
  Removing group `uml-net'.
  groupdel: group uml-net does not exist
  dpkg: error processing uml-utilities (--configure):
  Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to recover:
  Setting up uml-utilities (20040406-1) ...
  groupadd: name uml-net is not unique
  adduser: `/usr/sbin/groupadd -g 255 uml-net' returned error code 9.  Aborting.
  Cleaning up.
  Removing group `uml-net'.
  groupdel: group uml-net does not exist
  dpkg: error processing uml-utilities (--configure):

uml-utilities postins uses the following script :

  if ! getent passwd uml-net >/dev/null; then
      if getent group uml-net >/dev/null; then
  	# earlier versions only created a group
  	adduser --quiet --system --ingroup uml-net --no-create-home uml-net
      else
  	adduser --quiet --system --group --no-create-home uml-net
      fi
  fi

which seem safe to me, and I also tried some combinations of existing
user/existing group without being able to reproduce the bug.

This was on 09/01/2005 I'd say around adduser>=3.67.
Can any of you recognize any known adduser bug? I've seen some similar
logs in the BTS (eg: #327804).
Steinar, can you are you still able to reproduce such bug?

Please Cc: me as I'm not subscribed to the adduser lists, thanks.

Thans in advance.
--
mattia
:wq!