[Adduser-devel] Questions for the team

Joerg Hoh joerg at joerghoh.de
Thu Feb 15 20:27:23 CET 2007

Hi Stephen

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 12:22:22AM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Well, actually, all might just be you and I, Joerg :O
>
> Why did the exit status of --help and --version get changed to 1?  It's
> traditionalt to exit 0 after those switches.  help output should be
> displayed and then exit 1 if an unknown parameter was passed, but that's
> a different issue.

I updated recently the manpage and added some works about the return
values. I haven't documented them in case of --help and --version.

Is the return value in that case really relevant? Most times I use --help
oder --version, I do it interactively and don't care about them.

(For --version it would be good to return zero as somebody may parse the
return value...)

> After we have this discussed and/or cleaned up, how do people feel about
> an upload?  I wouldn't mind getting the silly bug reported by joey
> closed.  I am still undecided about the other recent bug by Justin
> (adduser --group --gid doesn't add a group).  I think this is primarily
> a documentation bug, as it looks to me like adduser --group is intended
> to mean something else (although, tbh, I'm not completely sure what).

We should remove the --group support for adduser. For that purpose we have
addgroup. For one of the next versions I plan to deprecate this
parameter.

Jörg

--
What did you do to the cat? It looks half-dead. -Schroedinger's wife