[Advacs-discuss] Requirements

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut@wollmersdorfer.at
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:35:30 +0200

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 10:02, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

>>Use cases are very useful for checking completeness, writing docs and
>>developing test cases. But we should find an efficient way, to avoid
>>over engineering and over administration.

> Regression test scripts, as with PostgreSQL itself?

Yes, for systematic tests you need scripts. The language of the sripts
depends on the tested target, better to say the interface.
In case of GUIs you need a robot, which feeds the forms. Expect is such
a tool, but I never used it.
At least there are some cases, which need manual testing - a hand
written script.

The advantage of use cases is, that "testing" can begin at a very early
stage, even before coding.

E.g. if you have the use cases:
1) Create account
2) Change account

you can apply the generic requirement, that every data object must have
a minimum live cycle - create and delete. In the above example "delete"
is missing. And there are other nice things, which you can do with use
cases.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer