[Advacs-discuss] Standards

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut@wollmersdorfer.at
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:08:18 +0200

Documentation
-------------

| Where possible, documentation should be written in SGML for the
| Docbook dtd.

Should we choose docbook-xml? In writing man pages I experienced
problems like defining a character encoding explicitely. I googled
around nearly one day to solve this problem. The only thing I learned
was, that docbook-xml should be preferred.

I have only experience in using docbook-sgml. But if docbook-xml is well
supported by debian-packaging utilities, we should use xml.

Character Encoding
------------------

We definitely should only support UTF-8. This means that everyting is
either "true" (7-bit) ASCII as this is compatible with UTF-8; or it is
interpreted as UTF-8.

I don't know, how well this is supported by Python or Eiffel. But I
assume, that they can handle it in character functions.

Up to now all my files in CVS are in UTF-8. I can convert them back to
ISO-8859-1 if necessary. But this would mean that we maintain a table
with default encodings for each language, and develop functions and
scripts for proper handling of different encodings.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer