[Advacs-discuss] Latest CVS updates

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut@wollmersdorfer.at
Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:17:43 +0200

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 00:21, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

>>- trimester (4 months), fits better the saisonal flow in some branches

> Curious, since the word actually means a period of three months!

You are right. Any better word for this? 4-monthly? third-yearly?

>> From the above the following transactions can result on e.g. an invoice
>>of 100,- + 20% VAT, balance/open_item on customer account is 120,-:

>>1) Skonto applies:
>>bank/customer   116.40 (= 120,- x (100% - 3%))
>>skonto/customer   3.00
>>VAT/customer      0.60

> There's a snag to start with!  In Britain, VAT is not chargeable on the
> amount that might be allowed in settlement discount; it looks as if in
> your case the customer gets a VAT rebate on early settlement.

The same logic applies to all differences between payment and the
original taxable transaction, where - in the moment of the original
transaction - you can not know exactly, if this difference will appear.

E.g.
- Skonto
- adjustments (user claims etc.)
- return of goods
- insolvency (partial payment)

> We will somehow have to link to the tax module for this.

ACK.

>>And the payment terms can be specified at company level (standard
>>terms), customer/supplier level, or contract level.

> So a default system-wide definition; one in the customer record and one
> on each invoice.

At least it is only necessary on the contract (= order), but inheritance
is for users convienience.

>>Thus I think we should provide an extra module for handling payment
>>terms, similar to the tax module.

[...]

> We call them Direct Debits, if the payee initiates each transaction, or
> Standing Orders, if the same amount is paid automatically every month,
> or Bank Giro Transfers when the payer initiates a one-off transfer to
> one or more payee accounts.

Again, there seem to be more similar things than differences.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer