[Apt-cacher-ng-users] acngfs

Jasper Mackenzie jasper.mackenzie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:31:51 UTC 2011

#ifndef _HALLO_H
  #define _HALLO_H_

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Jasper Mackenzie [Tue, Oct 25 2011, 03:30:46PM]:
>> Good day,
>>  I have been playing with acngfs and have a few questions:
>> From the man page it wasn't obvious (to me at least) that the ONLY
>> included deb lines should be those to the fuse filesystem mount...
>
> I didn't know this is the case. As far as I know, apt usually ignores
> online source if it finds equivalent local sources.
>
>> Anyway, when doing my first dist-upgrade on the machine with
>> apt-cacher-ng and using acngfs, I noticed that I couldn't see
>> anymore how much needed to be downloaded, a bit of a pain, but
>> understandable. If its possible somewhow to get an idea of how much
>> is going to be downloaded, that would be great.
>
> I didn't figure out a good way set. The whole think is a kludge and
> should be integrated into apt in some sane way.
>
>>  AND, the downloading took an age! Before switching to acngfs it
>> should have been ~20meg, so I expect ~20 seconds or so. It took
>> ~7minutes.
>
> 20meg total or 20meg remaining (including the stuff in /var/cache/apt)?
> In the last case, there is a problem... AFAIK apt does not use that
> cache (IMHO because it belongs to the online sources, see above) and
> gets everything from "local" source.
  20meg total. tested on a client machine, same issue. super slow.

> Actually, all data is fetched at least twice over the local link (for
> apt's checksumming and dpkg's work) and if you use apt-listchanges or
> apt-listbugs then they will add another two transfers of package data.
>
> Besides of that, there is one real potential performance killer I am
> aware of - the internal reads are limited, either by the block size of
> fuse or by caller's buffer, and this causes the server to reconnect to
> remotes and fetch each part. Now this connection was intended to be used
> in keep-alive mode, reused again and again, but I just saw that this
> does not work in the current version... looks like a bug needing
> investigation.
>
> And for the reuse of /var/cache/apt contents, I think I could add an
> option to acngfs to do that where needed.
>
>> one more thing..
>>  Is there a command to update all the repos's that apt-cacher-ng is
>> tracking, such that I can get cron to do this when I have cheap/free
>> bandwidth. (This would make the need to see how much is going to be
>> downloaded obsolete...)
>
> This sounds familiar, please have a look at
> http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~bloch/acng/html/howtos.html#mirroring .
  OK... some n00bish questions. Sorry I dont uderstand perl to well. I
assume that expire-caller.pl needs to be modified to do the precaching.
Its pathetic I know, but could you help with massaging this script to
*Download package files *Restrict to packages related to previously cached
files and *Use Debdelta if possible

> This feature needs more testing, I hope to get some feedback soon.

  soon soon.

> Regards,
> Eduard.

Jasper