[Apt-cacher-ng-users] Avoid client timeout while the proxy retrieves a large file

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Fri Jan 13 11:19:55 UTC 2012

Hallo,
* Wade [Wed, Jan 11 2012, 12:39:09PM]:
> Hi,
>
> I just started using apt-cacher-ng today, and I noticed that sometimes
> the client will timeout.  Does the proxy retrieve the entire file from

Which version? There was a bug with older versions where the message
queue could get stuck when it was flooded with requests. But one needed
a really messy sources.list to get there.

A possible workaround for that versions is to set MaxSpareThreadSets to
something higher like 50 (but watch the memory consumption after a
while and maybe set it to a lower, still working value).

> the remote server before transferring any of the response back to the
> client?  Would it be feasible to stream the response back to the
> client as it is retrieved from the remote server (and cached)?

No, streaming while receiving is an essential feature. A while ago I got another
report from somebody with similar symptoms but the person was not very
cooperative on debugging, and I could not reproduce it.

Regards,
Eduard.

--
<pasc> man
<pasc> the AMD64 camp is not helped by the list of people supporting it