[Apt-cacher-ng-users] Avoid client timeout while the proxy (alioth-apt-cacher-ng: message 9 of 20) (alioth-apt-cacher-ng: message 6 of 20) retrieves a large file

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Sat Jan 14 21:52:30 UTC 2012

Hallo,
* Wade [Fri, Jan 13 2012, 05:18:18PM]:
> > To reproduce the behaviour you mentioned, the file should ideally be
> > larger than 64kb.
> I tried it again and was not able to reproduce the problem with a 500K
> file using curl.  In this case, it's sending the file to the client
> while receiving it from the server.  If I see it again using pacman,
> then I'll try to reproduce it there and let you know.

Ok, thanks.

> > You mean, it does not pick up the right index files? I think this should
> > be fixed ASAP. But I am confused... where exactly shall the files
> > be renamed? AFAICS the file names in the archive are index.db.tar.gz,
> > and the current code looks for files named like .db.tar (plus optional
> > compression suffix .gz/.bz2/.xz/.lzma).
>
> Sorry, it appears that I was mistaken in regard to the index file
> request from the packager client.  It actually request, for example
> with the 'core' repo, 'core.db'.  This core.db file is a tar.gz file
> in fact, but is only name '.db'.  Is there a way to configure the
> behaviour to read '.db' files as well (as tar.gz data)?  There is no
> renaming happening, that was my mistake.

Ok. I added .db to considered index file names, to the whitelist (even a
more generic version, /.*\.(db|files|abs)(\.tar(\.gz|\.bz2|\.lzma|\.xz))?/ ),
and automatic detection of compression format. I guess that should solve
your problem for now.

Feel free to test the release candidate,
http://apt-cacher-ng.alioth.debian.org/unreleased/apt-cacher-ng-0.6.12.tar.xz

apt-cacher-ng (0.6.12) BETA; urgency=low

  * NEW: internal following of HTTP redirection responses with configurable
    redirection limit
  * FIX: unescaping RequestAppendix option value with multiple newlines
    correctly
  * FIX: more generic name pattern for volatile files, also treating *.db
    files as compressed index data in expiration
  * FIX: now really supporting legacy .lzma file format

 --

Regards,
Eduard