[Apt-cacher-ng-users] apt-cacher-np on port 80

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Wed Apr 10 19:03:21 UTC 2013

Hallo,
* Grant Ridder [Wed, Apr 10 2013, 11:34:15AM]:
> Hi,
>
> I have an old instance of apt-cacher-np running and I am in the process of
> configuring it on a newer machine.  The old instance is running on port 80
> and I would like to keep that in the new config to avoid changing all of my
> VM's.
>
> When I try to start the new instance on port 80, i get an error.
> # service apt-cacher-ng start
>  * Starting apt-cacher-ng apt-cacher-ng
>
>                                                        Couldn't bind
> socket: Permission denied
> Couldn't bind socket: Permission denied

That's correct. Please consult any Unix Networking manual and read about
privileged ports. For a network daemon that supports this, it means that
it has to be started as root and then use its effective UID internally.
And ACNG currently doesn't do that.

There are workarounds, of course. A crude one (run as root or change the
UID of the system user "apt-cacher-ng" to 0 which makes it effectively
root) and a less crude one (use the inetd bridge, see manual for
details).

> The old box is:
> Ubuntu 10.04.4
> apt-cacher-ng 0.4.6-1ubuntu1

Maybe that was configured with one of the tricks above. Check the user
id in the process list.

Regards,
Eduard.

--
<mellum> Salz: das laeuft auf einem Tru64-System, auch von 1889 oder so... aber
	immerhin 64 bit :)