[Apt-cacher-ng-users] ACNG and repos with HTTP basic authentication

Andreas Ntaflos daff at ptmx.org
Mon May 6 18:04:21 UTC 2013

Hi list,

It seems ACNG cannot cope with repositories that require HTTP basic
authentication. Is this right or am I doing anything wrong? Using Ubuntu
12.04.02 (clients, servers, proxy machines) and ACNG 0.7.7
(0.7.7-1ubuntu1~ubuntu12.04.1).

We have such a repository in our sources.list, the relevant line looks
like this:

deb http://username:password@apt.example.com precise main

APT is configured to use a local ACNG as proxy:

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00proxy:

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://acng.our_local_domain:3142";

This makes "apt-get update" (meaning ACNG) choke on the repo with
authentication:

Ign http://apt.example.com precise Release.gpg
Ign http://apt.example.com precise Release
Ign http://apt.example.com precise/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://apt.example.com precise/main i386 Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://apt.example.com precise/main TranslationIndex
Err http://apt.example.com precise/main amd64 Packages
  404  Usage Information
Err http://apt.example.com precise/main i386 Packages
  404  Usage Information
Ign http://apt.example.com precise/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://apt.example.com precise/main Translation-en
Fetched 14.1 kB in 2s (4,985 B/s)
W: Failed to fetch
http://apt.example.com/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404
Usage Information

W: Failed to fetch
http://apt.example.com/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages  404
Usage Information

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Disabling APT proxy use un-chokes "apt-get update". Obviously this means
we can't use the repo in question together with ACNG.

So is there anything that can be done here?

Thanks,

Andreas