[apt-proxy-users] how much disk space is occupied by release and by

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 09:40:23 UTC 2008

On Mon 07 Jan, Pierre Bauduin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using apt-proxy, and I find it is a nice and useful tool
>
> How can I find out how much disk space is occupied in the apt-proxy
> repository:
>
>    - by release (sarge, etch, lenny)
>    - by architecture (x86, x86_64, powerpc)
>
> This would be very useful for use in a munin plugin.
> This would allow to monitor the evolution of disk space occupied by release
> and architecture.

   Both apt-proxy and apt-cacher only download files as requested, so you
only collect a partial release, which is updated when new versions appear,
and older versions are eventually removed. An indication of size for a
single architecture would be the sum of the full DVD/CD images, but there
are many files which are common to all architectures, such as documentation
and high level language facilities including perl. The full mirrors as
downloaded using anonftpsync are much larger because they will include some
older versions as well as the latest, but you can check sizes as given by a
public rsync mirror site.
   If you decide to turn your apt-proxy or apt-cacher cache into a full
rsync mirror it will help if all files are stored with the same datestamps
and directory layout as the standard mirrors.
   I stopped using apt-proxy and moved to apt-cacher a while ago because of
repeated verification failures, is it working again now? I am in the process
of building a full rsync mirror for some architectures, but it is taking a
very long time because of bandwidth limitations.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk