[Apt-zip-devel] Re: apt-zip

Eddy Petrișor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 01:54:42 CET 2007

François Févotte wrote:
> Hi Eddy !
>
> I discovered your apt-zip package a few days ago and found it very
> useful. However, I thought adding an "apt-get update" functionality
> could prove very useful since the non-networked box doesn't have any
> way to get an up-to-date packages list (this corresponds to the
> wishlist bugs #43622, #133117, #223372)

Well, that point is pretty tricky as pointed in those bugs. AFAICT from the
first glimpse over the code, the update implies that you must make two trips
to the connected machine to get an upgrade, too. Is this correct?

> I worked out a small patch that allows running "apt-get update"
> through apt-zip. Although it is very limited (as to now, it only works
> for the wget method, and requires using the 'tar' option) I think it
> could be interesting to include it in your package.

I agree. I think we could include this as a first version that supports
apt-get update. Although it might open a can of worms (people complaining
about the double trip).

> I included the changes I made in a new NMUed apt-zip package that you
> can find here:
> http://francesco.ovh.org/www/debian/packages/apt-zip_0.15.1_all.dsc

I've looked over the code fast. Could you make the patch against the current
apt-zip trunk from the apt-zip subversion repository [1].

> Please feel free to ask me any question you'd like about the changes I
> made. Also, I would be glad to do some refactoring of the functions I
> wrote if you think they should be done in another way.

I would like to see first the changes against the current trunk (the changes
should be minimal), then comment.

On which connected machines have you tried your changes? Also note that
documentation should be updated, too (sorry if you already did this and I
haven't noticed yet).

> Thanks for your work on apt-zip,

Thank Giacomo, too.

Although we both kind of let the package rot to some degree. Maybe you'd like
to join us in team maintaining the package? Or should we request for help on wnpp?

[1] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/apt-zip/trunk
- --
Regards,
EddyP