dpkg-source to automatically add a Testsuite field

Guillem Jover guillem at debian.org
Sun Jul 6 16:35:47 UTC 2014

Hi!

Given that dpkg-dev has recognized the Testsuite field for some time,
I don't really see a reason for dpkg-source not to automatically add
it to the generated .dsc with an “autopkgtest” value if there is a
debian/tests/control file around, instead of requiring maintainers
to remember to set it manually.

Reading the spec [S], it seems to me that the file can be empty, as it
states “This is a file containing zero or more RFC822-style stanzas”,
so the code cannot do any sanity check, like checking if the file
contains one stanza with a Tests field. So it will only check for the
file presence.

  [S] <https://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=autopkgtest/autopkgtest.git;a=blob;f=doc/README.package-tests.rst;hb=HEAD>

I've queued a patch doing exactly that for dpkg 1.17.11. If there's
any known reservations with that, please speak up.

Thanks,
Guillem