where to maintain DEP8^W autopkgtest spec now

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Thu Jul 31 11:53:50 UTC 2014

[ wrapping up, and highlighting next action (for me) ]

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:54:23AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > 1) are there strict requirements on the markup used? I speak docbook, so
> >    I can convert to that if needed. But if that is not a requirement,
> >    also keeping something simpler (e.g., markdown) would be nice. It'd
> >    also address Martin's concern about the markup.

It looks like we have found some middle ground and can proceed.

Martin and Antonio do not object in integrating dep-8 into -policy. Russ
would like to try that as an experiment, possibly to be extended in the
future to other sub-policies. As a (very reasonable!) requirement, Bill
would like to have someone actually maintaining the policy, rather than
just dumping it onto -policy maintainers. Given that Martin and Antonio
would actually want to *extend* dep-8, that doesn't seem to be a
problem; I'm also available myself to help with editorial stuff.

Martin (and myself) would prefer using markdown for maintaining the spec
in the future; Russ is fine with that too, and would like to use similar
"light" markups in the future for other sub-policies; Bill would prefer
docbook, but that doesn't seem to be a strong objection (please correct
me if I'm wrong). To make things easier for the actual dep-8
authors/maintainers, I'd therefore like to settle on markdown.

Bottom line: next action is for Zack, to 1/ integrate current status of
dep-8 into debian-policy (and send it as a patch to -policy); 2/ mark
dep-8 as accepted, freeze it, and point to the -policy repo for further
updates.

I'll be intermittently on VAC/work in the next few weeks, but I'll
complete this during DebConf14 the latest.

Thanks for your help thus far!
Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o