Redesigning the autopkgtest controller/workers CI system for Ubuntu and Debian

Martin Pitt mpitt at debian.org
Tue Mar 18 09:11:10 UTC 2014

Martin Pitt [2014-03-14  6:31 +0100]:
> The problem is with storing the results in
> swift. We have multiple writers and want to create a directory
> structure which can be traversed reasonably effectively, i. e. we need
> sortable file names. Either by having a counter at the end similar to
> jenkins (trusty/amd64/foo/37) or by having a timestamp
> (trusty/amd64/foo/20140314-150135) with extra .<number> suffixes on
> collisions. But I see no documented way of doing this kind of "lock
> this file name", "get me an increased global counter", or "start a
> file system transaction" on swift, which makes swift fairly hard to
> use for concurrent writes.

My askopenstack question confirmed that swift has no such locking
mechanism, and dir names simply need to be unique. So I propose to use
the date, time, and host name of the executor, which still sorts
reasonably well, isn't too long, and also useful for humans to read,
such as

  trusty/amd64/libfoo/20140314-150135-alderamin

Martin