ci.debian.org and pkg-perl packages

Antonio Terceiro terceiro at debian.org
Sat Sep 6 15:32:34 UTC 2014

Hi gregor,

[putting the autopkgtest-devel list in the loop]

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 02:20:49AM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> Hi Antonio,
>
> with a slight delay, we now should be able to throw our 3000 packages
> at ci.debian.net.
>
> I hope I remember the idea we discussed briefly some days ago
> correctly: a generic debian/tests/control, a package with the test
> scripts, and the list of packages.
>
> debian/tests/control would be:
>
>     Test-Command: /usr/share/pkg-perl-autopkgtest/runner build-deps
>     Depends: @, @builddeps@, pkg-perl-autopkgtest
>
>     Test-Command: /usr/share/pkg-perl-autopkgtest/runner runtime-deps
>     Depends: @, pkg-perl-autopkgtest
>
>     Test-Command: /usr/share/pkg-perl-autopkgtest/runner heavy-deps
>     Depends: @, pkg-perl-autopkgtest, pkg-perl-autopkgtest-heavy
>
> The package with the scripts is pkg-perl-autopkgtest and already in
> unstable (0.11 required for all tests; pkg-perl-autopkgtest-heavy is
> provided by pkg-perl-autopkgtest for the time being).
>
> I'm attaching the list of packages, which is the output of
> % grep-available -s Package -FMaintainer pkg-perl-maintainers /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.ch.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-amd64_Packages | sort -u
>
> Do you need anything else?

This is awesome! :-)

Before we are able to benefit from this on CI, I still need to finish
the code to make autopkgtest use an implicit debian/tests/control when
one is not found and the source packages matches some known types of
packages.

I have an initial version of that:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/terceiro/autopkgtest.git/commit/?id=92ba1505d23c99ce5f46d82fd93058cbbfd1e076

That patch still needs work, in special it needs to create Test objects
instead of writing a temp file and reading it. But the general idea was
already acked by Martin (autopkgtest maintainer).

If you look at the bottom of the patch, there is some heuristics to
detect Ruby packages based on the contents of the source directory.
What heuristics would you use to discover perl packages?

Note that even if autopkgtest will autodetect the perl packages,
ci.debian.net will only run those in the whitelist you are providing.
New ones will need to have a source upload.

> Thanks in advance for your help; we're very excited to see the test
> results :)

Me too. :)

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro at debian.org>