[RFC] Automatic functionality tests for open-iscsi via autopkgtest's new nested VM feature

Christian Seiler christian at iwakd.de
Sat Mar 5 17:16:10 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

since you've now implemented nested VM functionality in autopkgtest, I've
started to work on the open-iscsi package to make use of this. I've
successfully written some tests that check whether login works in the
people/chris_se/ci-nested-v1 branch on alioth. [1]

The basic idea is to do the following: debian/tests/nested [2] sets up a
LIO target and runs adt-run within the VM to actually test the open-iscsi
initiator. This will then use debian/tests/control.nested [3] to run the
checks, currently I've only implemented a check alled login. [4]

You need the current master branch of autopkgtest to run this
successfully, the version in sid will skip the nested test. Since there
are no changes to the installed open-iscsi package, you don't need to
rebuild everything but can just use the package from unstable, I'm using
the following to run the tests from a git checkout of that branch:

adt-run --testname nested --built-tree=$PWD/ --- \
    adt-virt-qemu /srv/adt/adt-sid.img

Before I proceed to design more intricate tests, I'd like to get some
feedback from your end from an autopkgtest perspective of whether the way
I implemented this is OK or you have some ideas for improvements.

Many thanks!

Regards,
Christian

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-iscsi/open-iscsi.git/tree/debian/tests?h=people/chris_se/ci-nested-v1