[axel-users] axel_proxy script

Sam Watkins swatkins at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 16 05:59:49 UTC 2009

hi,

I wrote a shell script axel_proxy, which implements a simple caching web
proxy server using axel. It runs from inetd (I'm using the package
openbsd-inetd). The script is a bit messy but it's unusual anyway to see
a web proxy written in 2.5Kb of shell script.

  http://sam.nipl.net/axel_proxy

I wrote this because my ISP is a bit dodgy and individual TCP
connections are slow while many parallel connections run fast.

It works well enough for most basic http and ftp queries I think,
although for lots of small files it will be slower than a normal
unproxied connection.

It doesn't pass the correct headers from the client to the server yet, I
don't think axel can do that yet.

It works with apt-get although I expect debian / ubuntu would prefer if
we didn't do that!

More info and config is in the script.

Please try it out! any comments are very welcome.

Sam Watkins