[Bash-completion-devel] bash: [completion] error msg with 'sudo mount' and spaces in filename

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:16:46 UTC 2008

tags 394636 confirmed
found 394636 20060301-4
thanks

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:05:50 +0200, Wolf Wiegand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when there are more than one match for completion and at least one of
> them has two spaces in it, I get an error message from grep:
>
> wolf at denkbrett:/tmp $ touch foo\ bar.iso
> wolf at denkbrett:/tmp $ touch foo\ bar\ baz.iso
> wolf at denkbrett:/tmp $ sudo mount -o loop foo\ bargrep: Trailing backslash
> grep: Trailing backslash
>
> When hitting tab after foo, completion up to foo\ bar works. Hitting tab
> twice at that point causes the grep error message to appear.

I confirm this bug is still here, and it also happens when the file is just one
(just that, in this case, it completes the filename nevertheless). This bug is
caused by grep receiving "foo\" [0] as regular expression, thus breaking
everything.

I've properly tagged the bug, but I don't really know whether this belongs to
bash-completion, or to grep (or both).

Please wait for any further activity on this bug.

Kindly,
David

[0] this really happens with "foo\\", but the code seems to only pass "foo\".

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino