[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][311420] DBTS 511132: completion for mplayer ignores .iso files

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Mon Apr 13 15:48:31 UTC 2009

Bugs item #311420, was changed at 30/01/2009 10:42 by David Paleino
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=311420&group_id=100114

Original bug number: 511132

Initial Comment:
From: "Laurenz Wiskott" <l.wiskott at biologie.hu-berlin.de>
To: "Debian Bug Tracking System" <submit at bugs.debian.org>
Subject: bash-completion: completion for mplayer ignores .iso files
Date: 7 Jan 2009 18:32:34 +0100

Package: bash-completion
Version: 20080705
Severity: wishlist

It is well possible to run mplayer on .iso files copied from DVDs to the
hard disk.  However, bash completion ignores .iso files.  I suggest to add
them.

Best wishes, LW.

Comment By: David Paleino (hanska-guest)
Date: 13/04/2009 17:47

Message:
Hello *,
regarding this bug, I have only one available solution: using just _filedir. In fact:

1) if we use _filedir '@([Ii][Ss][Oo])', we should also call _filedir later to show /dev/devices to pass to mplayer;
2) if we do some hack (I tried this), like first calling 1), then using cur=${cur:=/dev/} and then _filedir, we're failing too, since we're overwriting $cur (while the user most probably wants to see just "foo.iso" and "/dev/*" in his completion)
3) if we override $cur with "/dev/" if it begins with @(/|/d|/de|/dev), otherwise complete on .iso, we kinda have this functionality -- but the user doesn't have completion for .isos in directories starting with "/dev";
4) if we keep like it is now (see contrib/mplayer), we're clearly missing a functionality.

I was forgetting, seems like the .iso files are only recognized by the -dvd-device option (taken from the manpage): if anyone knows of any other use, we should fix that too :)

I'm attaching a possible patch for this (point 3, actually), would you please comment on this?

Kindly,
David