[Bash-completion-devel] _filedir only escaping whitespace when `-o filenames' is in effect?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Aug 2 19:23:19 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 28 July 2009, Freddy Vulto wrote:

> I was under the assumption that `_filedir' was to be trusted
> anywhere, but it seems it isn't or am I overlooking something?

I think it isn't...

> Otherwise, wouldn't it be nice to add an option to `_filedir' to
> escape spaces?  Or better, create a new function `_compgen_filedir'
> with this optional behaviour ;-)?

...but why wouldn't simply adding $filenames to their "complete" calls be the
right thing to do?  The above sounds somewhat messy to me and personally I'd
rather start thinking about getting rid of most of _filedir's current contents
(when we can assume -o plusdirs) than adding more hair that duplicates
existing functionality to it.