[Bash-completion-devel] proposal fort bash-completion

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 07:32:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 19:43:25 -0400, Alexander Butenko wrote:

> Hey David,

Hello Alexander,

> First of all thanks for this scripts, they are realy awesome.

I just took up upstream development and formed a team around it ;-)

> The only issue with them that all functions located in one file.

We are already aware of this problem. And are working for this.

The first solution is splitting bash_completion into smaller
files in bash_completion.d/, and we're already doing that. Also, we're planning
to change directory layout, so don't relay on /etc/bash_completion being
there :-)

The above is a "temporary" solution though, since it will only ease
maintainance, with no benefits over loading time. That's why we're also
planning on merging bash-completion-lib, by Freddy Vulto, which has a rather
different (and way faster) approach to completions.

If you can't wait for us to merge it, you might want to give it a try. Be
warned that its directory layout is completely different from what you're used
to, i.e. you should know what you're doing when putting files there :-).
Otherwise, please wait for our official release first, :-)

> I love to see my shell right away when i launch it, but after im including
> bash-completion script into mine profile its starts like way slower.
> Sure, coz it takes time to parse 300kb of text :)

Well, each function is being preceded by a "have foo && { }", thus it's really
loaded only if you have that command. Yes, it's still parsed though :/.

It's kind of sub-optimal, really, that's why we are planning to merge
bash-completion-lib.