[Bash-completion-devel] Release cycle (was: Re: Roadmap proposal)

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 08:34:00 UTC 2009

Guillaume, others,

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:05:48 +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> I can eventually provide an automake-based makefiles suite. That is
> quite overkill here, but with just a few lines of code, we'll have
> robust and standard 'make install', 'make dist', and 'make distcheck'
> targets.

I just started the release process. I branched 'frozen/1.0', all bugfixes we
want for 1.0 should go there. If something's not due per 1.0, please do it in
'master'.

Guillaume, could you make your autotools changes in frozen/1.0 ? I'll wait for
them, so as to have a nice 'make dist' target (yes, I could do the tarball "by
hand").

Also guys, the next changes you do in 'master', please do them as a
single-commit (i.e. one change <-> one commit), so that it's easy to
cherry-pick them in frozen/1.0 in case (or the other way around, if you do
changes in frozen/1.0, we obviously want them in master too, so we should
cherry-pick from frozen/1.0 in this case).

(see for example, when I added AUTHORS: I added it in master, but we want it in
frozen/1.0 too, so I just cherry-picked it)

An issue I found is: we should standardize a bit the releasing process. Yes,
it's the first release, but I now recognize I probably branched frozen/1.0 too
early. This because:

  - I should've added AUTHORS before branching
  - I should've fixed the version number before branching
  - I should've copied and fixed CHANGES from debian/changelog before branching

I admit this is totally my fault, but just wanted to explain that it's so
because it's the first release :) -- remember to `git pull' now!

Also, when releasing, we should coordinate announcements to mailing lists -- or
is that too much overkill? ;) (though bash-completion seems to be a fundamental
package in every system I saw... we all would get crazy without the <TAB>
completion, no?)

Come on, let's have a great 1.0! :)

David

--