[Bash-completion-devel] vncviewer

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 11:33:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:26:03 +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> David Paleino a écrit :
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 23:05:33 +0100, Freddy Vulto wrote:
> >
> >> Do we have a standardized way in bash-completion for selecting alternative
> >> completions?
> >
> > No :/
> >
> > I believe we could do something a _get_alternative() function: in
> > Debian/Ubuntu/thelike it would check the symlinks in /etc/alternatives/, in
> > other distributions we might ask whether they have something similar (also
> > using external tools is good, just need to be sure they're there) -- and
> > then, complete "vncviewer" depending on the alternative. something like
> >
> > case "$alternative" in:
> >  "tightvnc")
> >    complete -f _tightvnc vncviewer ;;
> >  "vncfoobar")
> >    complete -f _vncfoobar vncviewer ;;
> > esac
> >
> > Obviously, $alternative would be handled by some other code there.
>
> This would only work if the related command is handled by alternative
> system in the linux distribution...In mandrivalinux, we only have tightvnc.

Well, maybe I wasn't that clear, sorry.

The above "solution" was to handle the "alternative system". We can always wrap
everything inside _have()s. Quick example:

_have tightvnc && { [..code..] } && complete -f tightvnc tightvnc
_have vnc4viewer && { [..code..] } && complete -f [..]

_have vncviewer && {
    // we know it's an alternative, handle it
    [..code to get $alternative...]
    case "$alternative" in
    [..see above..]
    esac
}

I haven't tried it, but wouldn't this work? Without adding any hassle to
maintainers.

Kindly,
David

--