[Bash-completion-devel] New bash-completion upstream, Fedora patches

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jan 6 20:58:43 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009, you wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:36:12 +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> > However, please file a request to join the group:
> >
> > http://alioth.debian.org/projects/bash-completion/
>
> Never mind, I've added you -- I just missed I could add a member myself :)

Thanks.

> Please, for the instructions on how to get the development repository, see
> the homepage http://bash-completion.alioth.debian.org/ .

Done.  At least the sftp checkout worked, I'll test committing something
trivial later this week.

> Also, as best practice, please try to do atomic commits: one change (or
> group of related changes), and its line in debian/changelog

Certainly.

I have no hands-on experience with bzr so I'll take some time to learn it
before pushing anything.  I do have experience with git and Mercurial though
(and FWIW CVS, Subversion etc) so hopefully the learning will go smoothly.

> We're still in a moment where bash-completion is
> a "Debian-native" package, but we'll soon (I hope) split the tarball from
> the Debian packaging, so we could have a sane ChangeLog in ./ .

Or just something like NEWS which contains higher level changes; people
interested in more details could just check the bzr logs?

Anyway that would be welcome but as long as the changes are recorded somewhere
and delivered to end users in understandable form, I don't think it's that
crucial.  I'm currently just using the Debian tarball and packaging
debian/changelog in the Fedora package I pushed to the build system today - I
don't think people will find the Debian specific things in it too
overwhelming.  rpm package specific changes of version updates etc go
to %changelog in bash-completion.spec (the one in Fedora, not the one
included in bash-completion although I'll have a look if there's something I
should add to it from the Fedora one).

But regarding missing files, I suppose a copy of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt is something that should be shipped
in the tarball as soon as possible (probably as COPYING).

> [0] Debian uses (Closes: #nnnnn), Ubuntu (LP: #nnnnn), it would be nice if
> you used something like (Fedora: #nnnn) or, if you have a particular name
> of your bugtracker, some abbreviation (if it was "Fedora BugZilla", "FBZ:
> #nnnn" would be pretty fine to me)

In other upstream projects I've usually used a full URL which looks
like "https://bugzilla.redhat.com/nnnnnn" .  As far as I know there's
no "official" abbreviation for it but I suppose the most often seen one
is "rhbz".  If you don't like the full URL, my 2nd preferred one would be
(RHBZ: #nnnnnn).  Let me know what you think.