[Bash-completion-devel] [patch review] Add/compact *Emacs, vi and friends indentation etc settings.

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jan 17 00:08:15 UTC 2009

On Saturday 17 January 2009, Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> revno: 1249
> committer: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi>
> branch nick: current
> timestamp: Wed 2009-01-14 22:17:14 +0200
> message:
>   Add/compact *Emacs, vi and friends indentation etc settings.
>
> +# -*- mode: shell-script; sh-basic-offset: 8; indent-tabs-mode: t -*-
> +# ex: ts=8 sw=8 et filetype=sh
>
> 4 spaces for each tab seems more extended in bash scripts than 8 spaces

Not at all to me (assuming I understood correctly what you meant by extended).
Having the default indent step equal to 4 spaces (or half a tab) and
replacing all occurrences of 8 consecutive spaces with a tab is very common
though, perhaps you meant that?

Defining tab width (which is not the same thing as indent step) as something
else than 8 causes very different results in editors/viewers that support the
definition and ones that don't; I don't think that's a good idea.  Tab == 8
spaces is a pretty much ubiquitous default everywhere.

The intent of this patch was not to make any indentation changes but to be
explicit what the current indent settings are, based on how I read the
current sources.  FWIW, changing the default indent step to 4 would be
something I'd personally prefer, I believe it would be specified as

# -*- mode: shell-script; sh-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: t -*-
# ex: ts=8 sw=4 sts=4 noet filetype=sh

...or for completeness, add "tab-width: 8" to the first line (but that would
make it > 80 chars :().

(BTW my original change has a bug in the ex: line; "et" should have
been "noet" in that too just like in the above, will fix that - thanks for
making me take another look at it.)