[Bash-completion-devel] New directory layout

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jan 17 11:21:58 UTC 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009, Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> El vie, 16-01-2009 a las 20:22 +0100, David Paleino escribió:
> > On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:18:16 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
> > > Directory where OS default modules (e.g. ones enabled at additional
> > > package install time) are symlinked to, everything loaded by
> > > bash_completion; sysadmins or users should not touch this dir or its
> > > contents.  Tools that manage system wide modules should operate on
> > > these files,
> > > not /etc/bash_completion.d/ ones:
> > >     /var/lib/bash-completion # or maybe bash[-_]completion.d ?
> >
> > I don't really like /var/lib/ -- but I'd have to check FHS for any other
> > suitable directory.
>
> I don't like it either. And it's not FHS compliant anyway:
>
> From FHS:
> ----
> /var/lib : Variable state information
> Purpose
> This hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an application or
> the system. State information is data that programs modify while they
> run, and that pertains to one specific host. Users must never need to
> modify files in /var/lib to configure a package's operation.
> ----

FHS compliance is the reason why I suggested /var/lib/bash-completion, and I
think for the intended purpose it would be compliant.  No actual modules
would ever be *installed* there.  It would just be a directory where modules
to be enabled are *symlinked* to on per host basis (== state information for
one specific host) *by tools* that enable/disable them (== programs modify
while they run, state information for those tools, users don't modify).