[Bash-completion-devel] New directory layout

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Sat Jan 17 11:42:05 UTC 2009

Santiago M. Mola a écrit :
> El sáb, 17-01-2009 a las 13:21 +0200, Ville Skyttä escribió:
>>> I don't like it either. And it's not FHS compliant anyway:
>>>
>>> From FHS:
>>> ----
>>> /var/lib : Variable state information
>>> Purpose
>>> This hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an application or
>>> the system. State information is data that programs modify while they
>>> run, and that pertains to one specific host. Users must never need to
>>> modify files in /var/lib to configure a package's operation.
>>> ----
>> FHS compliance is the reason why I suggested /var/lib/bash-completion, and I
>> think for the intended purpose it would be compliant.  No actual modules
>> would ever be *installed* there.  It would just be a directory where modules
>> to be enabled are *symlinked* to on per host basis (== state information for
>> one specific host) *by tools* that enable/disable them (== programs modify
>> while they run, state information for those tools, users don't modify).
>
> Ok, I completely misunderstood the point initially. Looks like something
> to consider then.
I'd still prefer to use /etc/bash_completion.d for this, because setting
which completions are globally activated seems more like configuration
than a program state. The whole /var hierarchy is generally dedicated to
program writing stuff themselves, not admins. If we had caching in some
functions, it would make sense to use it, tough.

--
Guillaume Rousse
Service des Moyens Informatiques