[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][311418] DBTS 393338: tab completion should show dirs in blue and executables in green

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Wed Jul 22 09:01:49 UTC 2009

Bugs item #311418, was changed at 30/01/2009 09:41 by Raphaël Droz
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=311418&group_id=100114

Original bug number: 393338

Initial Comment:
From: "Jason Spiro" <jasonspiro4 at gmail.com>
To: submit at bugs.debian.org
Subject: tab completion should show dirs in blue and executables in green
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 03:20:59 -0400

Package: bash
Version: 3.1-4
Severity: wishlist

It would be great if, when I press Tab twice to show the completion
preview, bash showed directories in blue and executables in green.

Or, alternatively, it would be even better if bash used my full set of
color settings which I have set using GNU Dircolors.

Cheers,
Jason

Comment By: Raphaël Droz (gibboris-guest)
Date: 22/07/2009 09:01

Message:
As stated on IRC some time ago, we need to figure out how to make bash print two different things (one for the promptline (without color codes), one for the bottom line (with color codes)).
I dig a bit in the bash code from a $(grep COMPREPLY) but wasn't able to find how to (what I called) "disassociate" the "completion" from the "suggestions")
I guess it would need another variable to be taken into account by bash

Also, there are a bunch of possibilities offered by such a thing
(think for example about cdrecord completion printing a "percentage bar" as you add file to the command-line, ...)

my 2c