[Bash-completion-devel] Extending dh_bash-completion

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 2 21:34:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 22:56 +0200, Federico Hernandez wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was thinking of extending the functionality in dh_bash-completion.
>
> While packaging my first package ("task" on revu - still waiting for
> some reviews - shameless plug) I discovered that dh_bash-completion
> expects a file called debian/bash-completion to be copied
> to /etc/bash_completion.d/<name-of-package>.
>
> So it behaves differently to, let's say, dh_installdocs which either
> can use filenames arguments or copies the files mentioned in
> debian/docs to the documentation directory.
>
> I want now to "extend" dh_bash-completion do behave in the same way. I
> would assume the following 3 cases:
> 1) There is a file called debian/bash-completion. Then copy that file
> to /etc/bash_completion.d/<name-of-package>.
>
> 2) dh_bash-completion is called with arguments. Copy the arguments
> (files) to /etc/bash_completion.d using <packagename>_<filename> as
> the new destianation names.
>
> 3) There is a file called debian/completions. Copy the files mentioned
> there to /etc/bash_completion.d using <packagename>_<filename> as the
> new destionation names.
>
> I wanted furthermore to "reuse" most of the applicable options, that
> can be found in dh_installdocs, in the extended dh_bash-completion.
>
> I welcome any suggestions, thoughts, feedback.
>
> THX.
>
> /Federico

Hi Federico,

We don't actually maintain bash-completion ourselves directly in Ubuntu;
it is developed by an upstream team, whose homepage you can find at [0].
I've also copied your message to their development mailing list where
they can hopefully help you get started.

Thanks for your interest in improving the software!
Iain

[0] http://bash-completion.alioth.debian.org/