[Bash-completion-devel] bash 2.x array initialization

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:05:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 00:13:33 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On Monday 30 March 2009, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > The following commit has been merged in the master branch:
> > commit afa40dea93309b5e793613858f0c18cf35ec9f12
> > Author: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi>
> > Date:   Mon Mar 30 23:53:23 2009 +0300
> >
> >     Fix local array initialization under bash 2.x.
> >
> >     In bash 2.x, "local foo=(bar)" does not appear to initialize foo to
> >     an array containing "bar", but to the non-array value "(bar)".
>
> This fix is something we definitely want in 1.0 too - without it, all
> _filedir completions get a "()" entry included in them under bash 2.x.

Ah, we should really drop bash 2.x soon(ish).

> I saw 1.0 was already tagged but I don't know how the branch is supposed to
> be managed

That branch is really bad named, sorry for not thinking at the future when
creating it. It should have been "1.x", or kinda. It's really the 1.x branch,
so when we release 1.0, we can continue bugfixing with 1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
cherry-picking from master and releasing tags from the "1.x" branch, while
continuing "experimental development" in master. Clear enough? :)

If you have other suggestions, please tell :P

> and by whom

Should we appoint release managers? I believe no. See the mess we have in
Debian when having a release :P :)

> (there's no mention of 1.0 in the roadmap proposal)

I thought it was clear -- my intentions were to release bash-completion in
February, but I only had time now.
If you're against a release, I haven't announced it yet, so we're still in time.

> so I've committed this only to master.

Thank you :)
I removed the 1.0 tag, and cherry-picked those changes to frozen/1.0
(unfortunately, there's no (easy) way (that I know of) to rename a branch, so
we could just re-branch it to 1.x and use it).

Thank you for your patience people, and sorry for not being very active
(university exams and classes, really bad connection, [..])

Ciao,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino