[Bash-completion-devel] Test suite failures/questions

Freddy Vulto f.vulto at wanadoo.nl
Sun Nov 8 22:41:15 UTC 2009

On 12:08, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> 1) ./runCompletion (alone, or with $something.exp) always prints out:
> ----
> ERROR Unexpected output from bash command "bash --rcfile config/bashrc":
> ----
> By adding some send_user's to assert_bash_exec I found that the "unexpected"
> output, $results, is empty when printed, but its string length is 8.  Huh?

I'm having the testsuite running every night on a Debian machine without
errors now.  Maybe `$results' is whitespace on your machine/distro?
What do you get when you invoke test-bash manually?  This is what I get:

    $ bash-completion.git/test> bash --rcfile config/bashrc
    /@

with the cursor right after the `@'.  Can you try appending a `!' to
 `assert_bash_exec' in test/lib/library.exp so it looks like this:

   send_user "ERROR Unexpected output from bash command
   \"$title\":\n$results!"

and show where the exclamation mark appears in the output, just to check
if `$results' is whitespace?

> 2) finger's "Tab should complete partial hostname" test fails.  It's just the
> test - as far as I can tell, the actual completion works fine when I run it in
> a shell.

I've done some fixes to the test suite some days ago.  Does the `finger'
test still fail?  If so, can you provide the line containing FAIL (and a
few lines before that) of ./test/log/completion.log?

> 3) All xhost completion tests (except unmodified env) fail.  Again, the
> completions seem to work just fine when run in a shell.

Same as above.  Can you provide the FAILing line from
./test/log/completion.log?

Regards,

Freddy Vulto
http://fvue.nl