[Bash-completion-devel] abook(1) completion

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Oct 23 15:31:10 UTC 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009, gibboris at gmail.com wrote:
> Oups, missing attachment.

Please update it to use the current indentation (no tabs, indent step 4
spaces).

It uses "_have" instead of "have", is that a typo?

--outfile and --infile should probably be removed from the latter "case"
block's last glob because they have separate cases above it.

> About the missing killer feature : compopt of course.
> It's so easy to complete with filenames then smoothly switch
> to nospace when it comes to long_opt...

But isn't this one of the features that can be easily used just by guarding it
with a ${BASH_VERSINFO[0]} check?  For example instead of blindly doing the
compopt, do something like

    [ ${BASH_VERSINFO[0]} -ge 4 ] && compopt -o nospace

(Current bash-completion sets the $compopt variable with the intention for it
to ease this task; unfortunately it's pretty much useless at the moment
because it gets unset at and of bash_completion and is thus only available at
parse time, not runtime.  And we have plans to drop a bunch of global
variables that clutter people's envs so I haven't bothered to "fix" it.)