[Bash-completion-devel] Patch review needed

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Thu Sep 17 21:52:13 UTC 2009

David Paleino a écrit :
> Hi people,
> Elan (CCed) posted on IRC a few patches from PLD Linux.
> I've applied two out of four (a third one was useless), so only a fourth
> remains to be applied. I'm here asking help to RPM guys, because this is a bit
> more invasive than others :)
>
> Here's the patch:
>
>   http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/packages/bash-completion/bash-completion-rpm-cache.patch
>
> These are the comments from Elan:
>
>   22:27 <glen_> the rpm patch adds more explicit names to expand, so you could
>                 tell to uninstall i686 package even if you have x86_64 package
>                 installed aside
>   22:27 <glen_> and current rpm (in major distros) can understand names with
>                 version + arch
>   22:30 <glen_> for the /var/cache/rpmpkgs.txt
>   22:30 <glen_> vs /var/log/rpmpkgs it should be one path likely if redhat would
>                 follow the FHS and use filename in cache dir not in log dir
>   22:30 <glen_> but that's very unlikely to happen
>

> Elan, you're welcome to join the discussion. If the patch is ok, Ville or
> Guillaume please apply it :)
The patches actually changes 3 things:
1) it uses an additional /var/cache/hrmib, which seems to be jbj-version
specific, if available
2) it forces refreshing the dumped package list if writable
3) it changes the format of completed package names

1 and 3 are OK for me.

I'm more reserved about 2, tough. /var/log/rpmpkgs is not really a bash
completion specific file, rather some daily dump of the package
database. I don't think it really hurt to rebuild it, but so far
completions never changed the system state. Anyway, this cache
refreshing should only occurs if cache is outdated (in the else part of
the last test), not everytime you complete on package list.

--
BOFH excuse #77:

Typo in the code