[Bash-completion-devel] [RFC] Completions location

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 08:06:38 UTC 2009

Hello,
I remember we decided to push all completions to respective upstreams, but
didn't decide anything more than that, at the time. -- or it could've been a
joke of my mind :)

On IRC the discussion was raised by the maintainer of the PLD package. He has a
few points, which I believe we already discussed about, with some new features:

1) upstreams won't possibly handle completions like we can -- be it
   syntactically, stylistically, functionally;
2) we would lose maintainance of the completions. Or, if we want to keep it, it
   would be a nightmare: we would need a $vcs write access for the completion
   for each software package. A mess.
3) bash-completion will rapidly decrease in performance, because of probably
   poorly written code.

The proposal made by Elan is: let's keep all completions in our repository
(and released package), and use package managers "triggers" to install them. I
know .deb has it (but never done that, should do a bit of research), and Elan
said .rpm has that too. What about emerge? Other distros?

Obviously, before using these "triggers", we should change directory layout.

Ideas? Comments?
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino