[Bash-completion-devel] [RFC] Completions location

Elan Ruusamäe glen at delfi.ee
Tue Sep 22 10:03:47 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009 22:36:18 Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Ville Skyttä a écrit :
> >> For the last issue, which is to distribute in a single package, and
> >> activate only when needed, I initially attempted to use triggers too.
> >> However, we now have 175 various completions in contrib directories,
> >> meaning 175 * 2 triggers (installation/uninstallation) to maintain,
> >> keeping track of the various mismatch between package names and
> >> completion file name. All in all, that's just impossible.
> >
> > This is surely a bit (yep, a bit, not a lot) of work, but why would it be
> > impossible?  I haven't packaged post 1.0 bash-completion for Fedora but I
> > do for now intend to continue with the trigger approach.  With a few
> > helper macros I think it's quite manageable, see
> > http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/bash-completion/devel/bash-
> > completion.spec?revision=1.42&view=markup
>
> Interesting. Maybe a bit of lua scripting could help also here.

same (similar) approach already in pld linux package, from which the thread
started:

http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/packages/bash-completion/bash-completion.spec?rev=1.153;content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

it's with few extra bits for housekeeping that .spec is not incomplete, for
example few completions had to split due package splits in distro, for
example freeciv has -server and -client subpackages.

--
glen