[Bash-completion-devel] using external helpers for completion

Freddy Vulto fvulto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 07:08:29 UTC 2010

On 100825 22:58, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> That's a good idea, that would avoid install-time substitution.
> However, $BASH_COMPLETION_DIR point to the directory where completions
> are sourced, whereas many of us (fedora and mandriva maintainers) only
> put symlinks there, and use a distinct directory for installing the
> whole set of available completions.

Then you can also create a `helpers' symlink there?

> So, I'd rather use a distinct BASH_COMPLETION_DIR_HELPER for this, and
> provide it a default value (/usr/share/bash-completion/helper) in main
> bash_completion file.

I'm hesitating to add yet another configuration variable, especially
since contrib & helpers are so tied together (we would also need a
BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR_HELPER, ugh).

> >     complete -C ${BASH_SOURCE[0]%/*}/helpers/perldoc perldoc
> Installation setup doesn't mandatorily match archive setup.

But we could make it mandatory for BASH_COMPLETION_DIR to have a
(symlinked) `helpers' subdir?  More enforcements are coming if we're
going to merge bash-completion-lib...

Freddy Vulto
http://fvue.nl