[Bash-completion-devel] BASH_XTRACEFD and scripts to run tests.

Crestez Dan Leonard cdleonard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:29:52 UTC 2010

Hello,

I discovered a new feature on bash-4.1: BASH_XTRACEFD. It's a way to
redirect set -x output to some other file descriptor, instead of just
stderr. This would be very useful when debugging tests, so I want to add
some sort of --debug-xtrace option.

I don't know how to modify the run scripts for this. I guess I could
modify the test/run script to inject some sort of tcl variable (there's
a tclvar option). I'd also modify run(Completion|Unit|Install) to call
test/run instead of runtest directly.

It's very likely that if I do this I'll break somebody's crontab.

DejaGnu claims to have a powerful configuration system and it's been
used in very complex situations. Could anyone point me to a
straight-forward way to add an option like this?