[Bash-completion-devel] Namespace prefix?

Freddy Vulto fvulto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 12:25:45 UTC 2010

On 100425 13:18, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Does bash officially "reserve" any variable/function prefix to itself?
> At least BASH_* and COMP_* are used in it

I've put the question on the bug-bash mailing list, see:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-bash@gnu.org/msg07539.html

If we're going to use "bashcomp_/BASHCOMP_" prefixes, that would mean
we'd also have the change the global configuration constants:

    COMP_CONFIGURE_HINTS            > BASHCOMP_CONFIGURE_HINTS
    COMP_CVS_REMOTE                 > BASHCOMP_CVS_REMOTE
    COMP_KNOWN_HOSTS_WITH_HOSTFILE  > BASHCOMP_KNOWN_HOSTS_WITH_HOSTFILE
    COMP_TAR_INTERNAL_PATHS         > BASHCOMP_TAR_INTERNAL_PATHS

I'd like to propose we do so, and mark the COMP_ constants as
deprecated, but still take them into consideration.  This way users have
a transition period to change their configuration constants.

Freddy