[Bash-completion-devel] Interesting problem with bash-completion

Dan D Niles dan at more.net
Fri Sep 17 19:04:42 UTC 2010

I use bash-completion on my ubuntu desktop and it works fine.  I've
added it to my FreeBSD servers, and I have an odd problem.  When I su or
run other scripts I get some weird errors.  I can duplication the errors
with just 'exec bash':

# exec bash
bash: _python: line 16: syntax error near unexpected token `('
bash: _python: line 16: ` !(python|-?))'
bash: error importing function definition for `_python'
bash: _xz: line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `('
bash: _xz: line 15: ` --decompress | --list | --test | -!(-*)[dlt]*)'
bash: error importing function definition for `_xz'
bash: _tar: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token `('
bash: _tar: line 8: ` ?(-)[cr]*f)'
bash: error importing function definition for `_tar'

As far as I can tell, the syntax it is complaining about is valid.  It
does not complain the first time the shell starts.  I'm quite baffled.

I would be happy to provide more info or try some stuff out.

Thanks,

Dan