[Bash-completion-devel] After adding bash-completion to .bashrc loading prompt is slow

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Apr 2 14:40:31 UTC 2011

On 04/02/2011 04:44 PM, Martin Lundberg wrote:

> source /usr/local/etc/bash_completion
>
> The problems is that it makes the loading of new terminal windows very
> slow. If I remove the line the loading is instant. When I add the line
> the I have to wait maybe 1-2 second for the prompt to show. I know
> it's not much but it's enough to be annoying.

Yes, loading the completions takes time, but there are some
opportunities for improving this in future bash-completion releases.
1-2 seconds is however much more than what I'm accustomed to.

$ time . ~/cvs/bash-completion/bash_completion
real	0m0.539s
user	0m0.403s
sys	0m0.097s

(This is an Athlon64 3200+ Linux box with an SSD disk.)