[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][312691] ArchLinux and ssh config

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Mon Apr 25 10:26:50 UTC 2011

Bugs item #312691, was changed at 2010-09-02 14:50 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=312691&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Hello, my friend and I we have a problem with ssh and bash-completion. Both are using ArchLinux (updated) and bash-completion 1.2

We use ".ssh/config" with a lot of hosts, like this:
host domain-fw
    hostname domain.com.br
    user felipeng

If we typed 'ssh domain-fw' the connection are established, but if we typed 'ssh domai(TAB-TAB)'
the prompt just stop to respond and only with a 'Ctrl+c' to get back to work.

Comment By: Ville Skyttä  (scop-guest)
Date: 2010-10-25 23:56

Message:
The patch over current git would look something like this (untested):

-        type avahi-browse &>/dev/null; then
+        type avahi-browse &>/dev/null && PATH="$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin" avahi-daemon --check &>/dev/null; then

I didn't close the bug report because the reported issue is still there, it just no longer bites in the default config. No objections if someone wants to close it or prefer to keep open and work on it further (I personally don't).

We have a rough roadmap but there are no dates set at the moment. I hope 2.0 (or an interim 1.3 release) isn't that far away though. http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/BashCompletion/Proposals/Roadmap

Comment By: Raphael Kubo da Costa (rakuco-guest)
Date: 2010-10-25 22:08

Message:
I guess my bash-fu isn't good enough for me to add the 'avahi-daemon --check' check :)

Couldn't this report be closed now anyway?

Oh, and is there some roadmap with planned release dates (I'm mostly interested in knowing if the next release will be 2.0 or if the milestone set on the report is not really taken into account).

Comment By: Ville Skyttä  (scop-guest)
Date: 2010-10-25 21:53

Message:
I'm personally not too enthusiastic about adding more commands to known hosts completion, and who knows if/what problems we'll find with avahi-daemon --check...

Use of avahi stuff is now controlled by $COMP_KNOWN_HOSTS_WITH_AVAHI in git (defaults to off which will be my personal setting too so I won't object if someone wishes to try to tweak this further, e.g. with avahi-daemon --check as long as that stuff is done after the $COMP_KNOWN_HOSTS_WITH_AVAHI check).

http://git.debian.org/?p=bash-completion/bash-completion.git;a=commitdiff;h=7d45595

Comment By: Raphael Kubo da Costa (rakuco-guest)
Date: 2010-10-25 06:08

Message:
I can reproduce this issue on FreeBSD amd64 using bash-completion 1.2 as well. When avahi-daemon is not running, completions for rsync and scp, for example, take a long time.

If I run avahi-browse -cpr _workstation._tcp by hand, the first run is usually fast, but the second one takes about 20 seconds (the third one is fast, the fourth one is slow etc).

How about including a check for the output of "avahi-daemon --check" before invoking avahi-browse? This way the command will be run only when the daemon is running too.

Comment By: Felipe Gonzalez (felipeng-guest)
Date: 2010-09-10 20:05

Message:
On the "Detailed description" for this bug, I said: '...the prompt just stop to respond and only with a 'Ctrl+c' to get back to work.' It's true, but if I wait about 30s the prompt respond correctly.

Yeah, I can confirm, if avahi-daemon is running no problem with bash-completion.

But if the avahi-daemon is stopped, we have problems, follow the output with 'set'

http://paste2.org/p/983004

Thanks

Comment By: Ville Skyttä  (scop-guest)
Date: 2010-09-09 09:18

Message:
(To the submitter of previous comment: the submit button in Alioth is strangely placed at top of the page, labeled "Save Changes", maybe you didn't notice it there?)

FWIW, I don't experience any meaningful slowness when invoking avahi-browse when avahi-daemon is not running.  This is on my Fedora 13 box:

$ ps ax | grep avahi | grep -v grep
(no output)
$ avahi-browse --version
avahi-browse 0.6.25
$ time avahi-browse -cpr _workstation._tcp
Failed to create client object: Daemon not running

real    0m0.020s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.005s

Comment By: Freddy Vulto (fvu-guest)