[Bash-completion-devel] Policy for CHANGES

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Thu Apr 28 14:46:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:46:37 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On 04/27/2011 09:56 PM, David Paleino wrote:
>
> > [ Upstream Name Surname ]
> > * Fix blbla, patch by ThirdParty Contributor (Alioth: #...)
> >
> > instead of making sections for each contributor (s/patch by/thanks to/ if
> > you prefer)
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> No strong opinions, but if this is the direction we want to go, I'd prefer
>
> [ Upstream Name Surname ]
> * Fix blabla (ThirdParty Contributor; Alioth: #...)

ACK.

> But then again I'd like to see some more drastic changes to what gets
> written in CHANGES and what not.  First, who are its target audience?
> If it's end users, I think it currently contains entries that make no
> sense to them or requires intimate knowledge, for example some picks
> from the 2.x section:
>
> [..]

Agreed.

Since the beginning, I intended it to be for developers, so that it was easy to
check who made a particular change (say, "git blame CHANGES | grep
__reassemble"), but maybe it's time for it to be user-oriented.

Or, let me propose an alternative.
Let's generate CHANGES from "git log" pre-release (maybe with "manual checks"
to avoid small commits), and write a separate human-friendly NEWS?

> [..]
> Personally I'd prefer that we write great git commit messages with
> proper authorship info (possibly git commit --author depending on case)

+1

> and do not touch CHANGES at all during regular development.  The release
> manager could maintain the CHANGES file or release notes somewhere else,
> writing them in language that makes sense for end users, and picking
> only high level entries that end users are generally interested in (e.g.
> what completions were added/removed, what was improved, general
> significant behavior/requirement changes, and possibly most prominent
> bug fixes).

I can surely do this, and my above proposal is for a NEWS file like this.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino