[Bash-completion-devel] Why bash-completion does not use "complete -D"??

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Aug 15 18:19:32 UTC 2011

On 08/14/2011 11:37 PM, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

> What plans to incorporate -D to 'bash_completion'?

There is no explicit plan agreed/discussed yet project wide, but I am
interested in it and have thought about it somewhat.  A proper
implementation is not rocket science but it takes somewhat more than
your "dirty hack"; there are things to consider such as completions that
are installed for multiple commands (should work easily both after "make
install" as well as in-place from a git clone with as little duplication
as possible), completions that need functions that are currently in
other completions' files etc.

I intend to post to this list when I have a complete proposal how to
deal with these issues -- soon, I hope.

Regarding the load times you posted, I suggest trying out the current
git master branch which has some load time improvements (not as much as
can be gained by dynamic loading though).