[Bash-completion-devel] bash multi-word completion with read

Fozzy C. Dressel fozzy at silberwald.at
Thu Aug 18 09:19:32 UTC 2011

hi.

I'm trying since weeks to realize a multiword completion with the bash
builtin "read". The only success I get is with single-word completion
an the "history -l/-s" trick.

I wrote a menusystem to let users create/enter/delete project-folder,
run/edit/remove plugins in ths folders.

For a better understanding, a small example:

multicheck> <TAB><TAB>
multicheck>
 	project login logout cd view ....
multicheck> pr<TAB>
multicheck> project
multicheck> project <TAB><TAB>
multicheck> project
 	project login cd view ...

It get the same list again, here now it should return the list of
available project-folders ..

multicheck> project <TAB><TAB>
multickeck> project
 	mpathcheck sysadmin ...

Calling multicheck in bash as cmd, die BComp. works fine as expected, so
it seems that I've understoud BC ... but I'm not able to do this with
the read-statement inside a bash-script.

Any hints ?

Many thanks in advance
Greetings from Vienna/Austra

/fozzy