[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][313315] ./configure --prefix does not affect BASH_COMPLETION* vars in bash_completion

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Tue Aug 23 17:15:17 UTC 2011

Bugs item #313315, was changed at 2011-08-23 09:07 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=313315&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Downloaded and unpacked bash-completion-1.3.tar.bz2 into /usr/local/src/bash-completion-1.3/. Executed

cd bash-completion-1.3
./configure
make
make install

All components were installed under /usr/local/etc as expected. Executed

cp /usr/local/etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh /etc/profile.d

Logged out and back in. Bash completion was not working as expected. The value of BASH_COMPLETION was /etc/bash_completion. Looked in /usr/local/etc/bash_completion and saw (lines 42-44) that BASH_COMPLETION, BASH_COMPLETION_DIR and BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR were all being set to files under /etc and not under /usr/local/etc.

On another machine where I did not have permission to install into /usr/local, I installed bash-completion similarly execept that I explcitly set --prefix:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/src/bash-completion-1.3

Again, all the files were installed in the expected locations but the bash_completion script still set those environment variables to /etc/* and not to $HOME/src/bash-completion-1.3/etc/*.

In both cases, the etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh script did refer to the correct location of the bash_completion script.

Date: 2011-08-23 20:15

Message:
Duplicate of http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=313081&group_id=100114&atid=413095 (already fixed in git)