[Bash-completion-devel] misc: compgen, colors, comp interruption

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Feb 14 17:50:46 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 06:23 PM, Raph wrote:
> Hi !
> Some ideas in bulk about bash completion, mostly about colors.
>
> Colors:
>
> Q) how to grab them ?
> A) in ls.c, which parse LS_COLORS, ls --color=always
> Until it is implemented as a library, /bin/ls can be used.
[...]
> sorry for such a long oration.

...and sorry about a reply this short to it, the whole message is more
to digest than I have time available for right now but this is the first
thing I thought about the above:

I believe the --color argument is specific to GNU/coreutils ls.  At
least it doesn't exist in FreeBSD or Solaris ls - as far as I know they
have no long options at all.  FreeBSD ls has -G which has something to
do with colors but that's all I know about it.