[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][312909] sysctl test case failure

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Wed Jan 5 21:01:44 UTC 2011

Bugs item #312909, was changed at 2011-01-04 00:42 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=312909&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
The sysctl test case fails for me, from dbg.log:

expect: does "kernel.shmall\r\nkernel.shmmax[...]kernel.vsyscall64\r\n/@sysctl kernel." (spawn_id exp7) match regular expression "^\s*kernel\.shmall\s+kernel\.shmmax[...]kernel\.vsyscall64\s+/@sysctl kernkernel\.$"? no
expect: timed out
FAIL: sysctl kern should show completions

Note the difference in the end of the string to match and the end of the regexp, "kernel" vs "kernkernel". A quick hack that "fixes" this is to change "kern" to "kernel." in sysctl.exp, but that's not a good one, for example it will not work on FreeBSD where there are no sysctl variables starting with "kernel.", but there are "kern.*" ones.

FWIW, when I do "sysctl kern<TAB>", it lists a bunch of variables starting with "kernel." and then expands the prompt to "sysctl kernel." as it should, i.e. the actual completion appears to work correctly, only the test case doesn't work.

Freddy, any ideas how to fix this properly? Is it a test suite bug?

Date: 2011-01-05 23:01

Message:
I figured out how to fix it, hopefully even correctly ;)  See commit b1dbd1d